Entertainment

This group rocks! For your love of music, tv, and movie entertainment.

Quick Overview

Category
Music & Entertainment
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views
Total albums

ROBOTS

VIP
I'm a
Woman
Are you for or against robots?
For me, it started with being introduced to the Amazon ASTRO and i thought that was cute. Recently, I've been looking deeper into the robot roombas - if you have a pet then you know my need to have to one. Vacuuming, mopping and using lint rollers DAILY before leaving the house has just become too tedious. I needed a roomba combo. With today's technology, all of a sudden everything in all my feeds are ROBOTS from humanoid ones that are straight out back in the day Sci fi movies to child toys that are ROBOTS for your kids to talk to for socialization (versus putting them in a reaREAL school or daycare to socialize with OTHER HUMAN children 🤦‍♀️) to even $300-$400 ROBOT DOGS men actually jog with.
I thought Astro was cute. The roombas are useful, I even have the zuru robo fish for my cat's drinking pond I made him. It's just water, rocks, a filter and cute little moving toy fish. Little toys like that have always been around but now we're talking full size human like, pet like and child like to replace actual humans, pets and other children! Weird, if u ask me. The fish are understandable cuz if I used real fish, he'd kill them and I'd have to keep replacing them. I'd be getting them just to send them to their deaths. Is it ALL necessary or have we gone too far abd actually replacing humanity as we always predicted. This is actually rhetorical since nobody's here lol.. and if they do pop in, still act like I'm invisible as if I've actually done anything to them but it's STILL food for thought.

Too Much Rum
Staff member
I'm a
Man
I don't trust any of these smart devices. I remember a story about how one of these vacuum robots was scanning your house and sending the data to Google. I don't remember the exact details of it though.

It's bad enough with cars where the steering wheel isn't connected at all to the wheels and the shifter isn't connected at all to the transmission. What if they're hacked? You have no control.

Also with cars is the geniuses who thought door handles should be electronic so when there's no power they don't work. Then you need to use an alternative way into the car if the battery dies and that method depends on the car.

The way I see it, eventually there will be no choice but to accept it all. It's gonna continue, not stop. And things like Alexa and robot vacuums can be a serious problem for privacy. Not to mention TVs now with cameras in them and cars now with cameras in them.

I think robot dogs is silly other than a toy to play with like any other that people will get bored with and also another privacy problem. Robot humans would be interesting for businesses, like if you've seen the movie Passengers the bartender is a robot. We're a long way off from that though which is good since that takes jobs away.

Last edited:
VIP
I'm a
Woman
I don't trust any of these smart devices. I remember a story about how one of these vacuum robots was scanning your house and sending the data to Google. I don't remember the exact details of it though.

It's bad enough with cars where the steering wheel isn't connected at all to the wheels and the shifter isn't connected at all to the transmission. What if they're hacked? You have no control.

Also with cars is the geniuses who thought door handles should be electronic so when there's no power they don't work. Then you need to use an alternative way into the car if the battery dies and that method depends on the car.

The way I see it, eventually there will be no choice but to accept it all. It's gonna continue, not stop. And things like Alexa and robot vacuums can be a serious problem for privacy. Not to mention TVs now with cameras in them and cars now with cameras in them.

I think robot dogs is silly other than a toy to play with like any other that people will get bored with and also another privacy problem. Robot humans would be interesting for businesses, like if you've seen the movie Passengers the bartender is a robot. We're a long way off from that though which is good since that takes jobs away.

I was against Alexas and all that at first but as time passes its almost impossible to not have ANYTHING that can't take over your camera and life. A phone and TV alone can so why try fighting it anymore and sacrifice things you could use. Cameras for security - I've seen situations where pedophiles have hacked nanny cams talking to kids as Santa but on the other hand, you know who's stealing..or ATTEMPTS to steal your packages or worse, trying to get into your home whether you're away or sleeping, in the bath - you can call for help and grab a weapon before thew feet in - having real time live viewing from anywhere, moron detection that notifies you to view and say something as someone approaches your property.. before even getting to your door or packages n JUST yesterday saw how a woman who had a business as a groomer was literally beating the animals, throwing them against walls. NOBODY would have ever even known had it all not been recorded and then found when they were being investigated for something entirely separate. To hear cops who have seen it all day how hard it was to watch, an owner who didn't know but stopped bringing her pet cuz it would be shaking when she picked it up and urinating on the way there which wasn't usual. It's like... so much of this really does shed light on so much that would never be known and can be very helpful but also...with everything, it's all a chance you gotta take and like the beginning of imom shows... today's technology IS taking over humanity. We knew it would but back in the day it was all just Sci fy but now an actual reality

VIP
I'm a
Woman
I do hate the idea of things being controlled by electricity alone after having gone days w/o power. SO grateful for the many things I had to keep or give some extra juice a bit longer but to not be able to get into my home.. or out of it, not to be able to get in or out of my car...oh, abs the new sounds when they're backing up is so annoying. Hybrid things are great but to rely on electricity SOLELY is not a good idea. (I forgot where you posted about the car thing so putting my reply here)